Sunday, July 24, 2011

Photo Catalog System

Someone asked how I save my photos. So, here is my process.

1) I use a code to name them, which looks like: c110724xxx, where the "c" = Canon, "110724" is the date when the photo was taken using the format yymmdd, and "xxx" is the sequence number. Then I enter detailed descriptive data into the meta date list, which includes name of the subject, location where the photo was taken, a © statement, and key words.

2) I use Aperture (an Apple Mac application) to catalog my photos. Aperture saves photos in Libraries, which I name according to their general content. For example, I have libraries named, "Scenery_CA," Scenery_SW," "Birds," and so on.

3) I save only those photos that I want to keep. My guide is, "Would I ever want to show this photo to someone?" This means that I toss out over 90% of the photos that I take. The discarded photos are either duplicates or lower quality photos.

4) I organize the photos in each library into folders based on appropriate subtopics, such as "Bryce Canyon," "Cactus Flowers," and so on.

5) In each library I have a folder named, "Process" where I keep photos that are waiting to be catalogued.

6) I store the Aperture libraries on my computer's hard drive, and I save backups of these libraries on external hard drives. One such hard drive is kept in my office, the other is kept in a safe box at the bank. I swap these hard drives about once each week.

No comments: